Sunday, March 6, 2011

Week 7 (Easing back into Cardio)

My ankle has recovered to almost 100%!

There is very little discomfort when I exercise now and I'm really happy about that. I've eased back into cardio, but no badminton or HIIT since I don't want to risk re-injury from more dynamic motions. I started off the day with 45 minutes on the elliptical and another 15 on the rowing machine. I've had some additional energy to complete workouts on an empty stomach from the help of a supplement called NO-Xplode; essentially a concoction consisting of creatine, amino acids, caffeine and NO (nitric oxide) for vaso-dilation. (Thanks Stephanie.) My feelings about this product are still very mixed because it is in essence a stimulant and bordering on unnatural to me. I've never even taken creatine before. Regardless, I'm Asian and since my friend was kind enough to donate a jar of this stuff to me, I'd feel bad for not using and wasting it.

Static-state cardio on machines is probably the most boring thing you can do on the face of the earth. I seriously would rather watch paint dry or linoleum curl. I worked through it though and went first thing upon awakening before eating anything. Went again later this evening with my friend Jeff and did another hour of combined bicycle, elliptical and rowing machine. All in all a total of close to two hours of cardio; it felt very productive, but who knows if there will be any results? My upcoming weekly schedule has updated to accommodate the additional cardio:

Monday: Back and Biceps
Tuesday: Cardio (Swimming or treadmilling first thing in the morning)
Wednesday: Chest and Triceps
Thursday: Cardio
Friday: Legs and Shoulders.
Saturday: Cardio (swimming)
Sunday: Rest

Abs on cardio days.

Diet hasn't changed much, but I will discuss that and other complications I've experienced in a complementary post immediately following this one.

Progress:

In terms of fat loss, I feel like these last 6 weeks have been an epic fail overall. I've used injury as a crutch to not do cardio and I feel like I haven't made any progress at all thus far. Though I plan to stick to my diet and workout regimen as strictly as possible, I'm fearing little change come April 24th.

My abs have gotten significantly bulkier and harder when I flex. This is most likely due to the high number of weighted myotatic crunches I've been doing. A bulky midsection isn't exactly what I want, so I'm taking steps to lower the weight and increasing the repetitions for the future.

Keep your fingers crossed for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment