Monday, January 31, 2011

Joint Pain & Injuries - Active Release Technique (Day 8)

I've decided to put off my gym training for now to prevent further shoulder injury. The pain in my shoulder has become quite bothersome and I can't bring my arm above my neck without feeling it. If you've been reading my blog so far, you'll know that I've been devouring the book 4 Hour Body like a fat kid on chocolate cake. In it, the author Timothy Ferriss suggests a treatment called Active Release Technique (ART). He claims that it completely restored motion in his shoulder and took away chronic pain that he had been feeling for years from past injuries.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Active Release Technique, there's a pretty good explanation of what it is and what it does here.

In the past, I've tried everything from deep tissue massage to acupuncture to taking glucosamine and chondroitin, but nothing really seemed to have a pronounced effect. If this technique works any better than the other options, you'll be hearing about it shortly tomorrow afternoon.

After reflecting on this past week, I've learned some valuable lessons. Consistency in training and moderation in diet is the key. Slow and steady wins the race.

I looked up the local ART clinic and scheduled an appointment tomorrow morning at 10:00am. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment