Saturday, January 29, 2011

Cheat Day! (or weekend?) - Carb Cycling (Day 6)

So this is my first time attempting what's known as carb-cycling. I'm saving my long explanations for now and using links to make things easier, but the short of what carb cycling is (again, for those of you who don't know) is to have certain days of the week where you consume very few carbs, mixed with days when you eat lots of carbs. The result of it is your body's metabolism never slows down, you don't feel like you're starving yourself, and you lose fat/weight in a much healthier and easier fashion. For those of you interested in reading more about it, you can do so here.

Unlike what's described in the link above though, I'll be doing relatively low carbs for 6 days and replenishing my body's glycogen stores once a week every Saturday - my cheat day. Previous users of this method reported gains over the weekend but quickly went back to pre-cheat day weights once the new week came.

This weekend my friend Zen came to visit, and I decided to allow my Friday to coincide with my cheat day when I could eat or drink anything I wanted. This eventually culminated in me getting completely annihilated Friday night.

Absinthe @ 3pm, Friday

As of writing this, it's Saturday evening and I still don't think I've fully recovered. I have no energy and lack my usual sense of well being. In addition to this, in my overzealous desire to work toward my goal I've managed to overtrain; my right shoulder is aggravated from an additional session of crossfit that I managed to throw in between workouts and my left wrist is slightly sprained from badminton.

As a result, I've decided to make changes to my regimen:

With regards to alcohol, no more than two drinks on my cheat days
With regards to working out, scheduled MWF weight training with lighter sessions of cardio.

For now, I need to schedule a trainer to look at my shoulder and wrist. My friend Jeff says that overtraining is worse than not training at all; your body becomes exhausted and more prone to injury which could put you out for weeks. At the moment, I feel like I might be living out his words. I've learned my lesson. Luckily we are only one week into this little experiment. Hopefully things will be better next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment